Friday, January 27, 2017

MY LATEST HUMPHREY FIELD TEST RESULTS


Ever since my right eye was scorched by a surgeon’s microscope light during a routine procedure in 2003, I have annual visual field tests to see what I can see. These tests are the way I trace my devolving vision from year-to-year.

Last week I had another Humphrey Field Test and I thought I’d tell you about it.  The Field Test is done on a machine called the Humphrey Field Analyzer (HFA). On the left is a picture of a woman being tested on a HFA.

During the HFA, I look at a screen through a peep hole.  I stare at a dot in the middle of the screen.  Then the HFA’s computer begins a long series of blinking lights in different parts of the screen. If I see a light, I click on a mouse. The HFA tallies up the clicks and creates a map showing where I can see and where I can’t.

A visual field test is used to detect blind spots caused by diseases and other conditions. Specific causes appear as unique patterns.




Let’s look at my left eye first. Here are the results of my most recent test.  Keep in mind that parts of the visual field where I can’t see are in black.




To see how the vision in my left eye has changed over time, here is how my left eye visual field looked in 2010. I definitely have a smaller “field of view” now compared to seven years ago. 

And, this is the good news!





Here is the most recent (2015) HFA test results for my right eye. Holy blindness! I guess I’d better consume more medical herbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment