Friday, February 3, 2017

DREAMING OF MY LOW VISION KITCHEN


I love to cook. My work as a public media consultant and blogger takes considerable concentration and occasionally deep thought.  Thankfully, cooking uses different skills, It provides immediate feedback: The food I prepare either tastes good or it doesn’t.

My wife and I have been living in an older house in a suburb of Minneapolis. We love our house but it is often not accommodating for a person like me who is experiencing low vision. We are planning on moving this summer and I’ve been dreaming of my new low vision kitchen.

• HIGH-CONTRAST COUNTER TOPS & CABINETS

The tail belongs to Sky. He is looking for tuna!

This is what I have now. The salt-and-pepper scheme looked good in the showroom. Since my vision has gotten worse, my current counter top is like a Bermuda Triangle – I can see stuff going in but then it becomes lost in the visual confusion.






This is much, much better. Stark contrast is the key for people with vision impairment. Choose a counter top that is all one color, preferably a mellow white.









• SOFT BRIGHT LIGHT WITHOUT GLARE

My wife and I installed track lighting in our kitchen over a decade ago. This decision was obviously for style rather than functionality. 

I am constantly changing positions when I am cooking to take advantage of the available “cone of light.” Track lighting also produces unexpected dark areas.



Light in the kitchen should be plentiful, evenly distributed and free from glare. 

Keep lighting simple and make certain busy locations have adequate light.





• ORGANIZE & LABEL INGREDIENTS & CONDIMENTS

It is no wonder I can’t find what I am looking for in our current kitchen. 

I plead guilty to slough but I am dealing with a number of systemic problems: Insufficient light, deep cabinets and random item placement. It is difficult for me to distinguish between various products.

Kitchen organization depends of personal preferences. 

Use easy layouts where similar items are next to each other such as salt being next to pepper. 

Your organizational system needs to be both intuitive and obvious. 

Look for simple solutions like placing rubber bands, file cards, or tactile dots on food items. Or, consider using a “talking label” device.


• CHOOSE LOW VISION APPLIANCES

I can’t tell you how much I dislike our current can opener. 

My low vision situation means I have almost zero depth perception.  Your don’t want me pouring the beer at the party. 

Everyday I have problems opening cans because I can't tell if the bade is in the can.




This can opener is a better choice because of its lighter color. 

Some manufacturers are offering “talking appliances” specifically designed for people with low vision.





• FOOD PREPARATION SAFETY

Kitchen safety depends on all of the solutions we have discussed. But you will one more: Common Sense.


Common Sense thinking makes you more confident and comfortable. Plus, your food will taste better.



No comments:

Post a Comment