Friday, November 4, 2016

LEARN BY PARTICIPATING IN LOW VISION RESEARCH



I am always looking for new ways to learn about low vision and how it affects folks like me. A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to participate in a research project being conducted by the Minnesota Laboratory for Low-Vision Research at the University of Minnesota. The topic is Visual Reading Technology. So I registered to become a “test subject.”

Visual Reading Technology is an important and growing area of interest because new devices and techniques have been found to be very helpful to people with vision loss. In this type of research the “test subject” is more than a mouse in a Skinner Box.  Participants like me get to express themselves and contribute to a body of knowledge that helps people cope with the challenges of low vision.

I contacted Christina Granquist, the research coordinator, and she told me how to get started. (Complete contact info is provided at the bottom of this article.)

Christina first checked to make certain I was qualified to participate. The Minnesota Laboratory for Low-Vision Research is looking for adults with low vision who read with the assistance of reading aids. The goal of the research are to improve understanding of the use of reading technologies and learn which devices and systems people prefer.  Think of it as a “baseline” for future research and product development.

Christina told me the study involves filling out an online survey. The task may take as long as an hour to complete it. Christine provided me with the web address for the survey and I was off and running.

TAKING THE SURVEY

On Saturday morning (10/29/16) I went to the survey page while sitting in an easy chair working on my laptop. Participants can take the survey
on any device Including computers, smartphones and tablets. 

The first part of the survey asks questions about the causes, circumstances and degree of my low vision.  Then it goes through a list of reading technologies and devices.  This is followed by a series of questions based on my ability to see and use sample text (an example is on the right) with various levels of magnification and fields of view. Over all, I found the survey to be easy to navigate. I completed it in around 40 minutes.

Survey participants are compensated with $20 gift cards for Target Amazon, iTunes or Starbucks. I chose Starbucks.

If you are interest in participating or want more information please contact Christina Granquist, the research coordinator, at lowvis@umn.edu.

The study is being conducted at the Minnesota Laboratory for Low-Vision Research at the University of Minnesota [link]. The project director is Dr. Gordon E. Legge.



No comments:

Post a Comment